Hi, I'm a serial entrepreneur & would like to welcome you to my page
I am currently the Director of Kaizen Management Advisors Pvt. Ltd
- A Private Equity Fund investing in India's $50 Billion education sector.
In the past I have been involved in various organizations with interests in education, new media, commodities & non-profits. These include:
1) Smart Institute
- A global business school that creates Smart People for Smart Companies.
2) Smart Entrepreneur Network
- Web portal that helps entrepreneurs succeed.
3) East India Paper Company
- One of India's oldest & largest paper & paperboard merchants.
In the Non-profit space we have:
1) The Shahani Trust
- More than 60 years of charitable work in education, healthcare & low cost housing
2) SAGE Foundation
- Provides education and skills training for India's needy.
3) Smart University
- International foundation promoting educational reform
4) Unltd India
- Supporting start up social entrepreneurs in India
When I Was A Child I Was Greatly Influenced By This Old Parable:
There was a Saint who had a vision about what it was like in Hell & Heaven.
In Hell he saw a huge table laden with food in the centre. Surrounding the table were starving people who all had very long forks attached to the ends of their arms. They could stab the food, but the forks were too long for them to put the food in their mouths. They were all screaming in frustration as they tried to eat the food that they longed for.
In Heaven, the saint saw the exact same table laden with food & people with the long forks at the ends of their arms. However, here the people were all smiling & enjoying the food. What they were doing was stabbing the food & putting it in EACH OTHER's mouths!
The moral of the story is that our heaven & hell is right here on earth, how much we want to help others & be helped in return is what makes the difference :-)
What Am I Like?:
Dr. Peter Senge
(author of 'The Fifth Discipline') once called me a Pragmatic Idealist. I am a serial entrepreneur & love to get involved in enterprises that truly add value to society.
According to my Temperament Profile, I am a Rational-Inventor (ENTP). Supposedly we are quite scarce (less than 2% of the general population). Here's an intro quote from Advisor Team's Site
about our type:
"There aren't many Inventors, but your type has a great impact on people's everyday lives. This is true because of your innovative and entrepreneurial spirit. These traits make certain that you're always eyeing new projects, enterprises, and processes, and looking for better ways to do things."
Don't know about the impact I make :-)......but I AM always looking for new people & projects to get involved with.
Thomas Power was kind enough to give me this testimonial:
"Bold, direct, charming and straight to the point Akhil has an open mind to new ideas and new approaches. He absorbs information very quickly and can see into the future with reliable insight.
Very few people truly believe in global networking and having a global business network to support your personal and professional endeavours, Akhil is one of these few, and for that I reason I naturally feel comfortable recommending a very smart gentleman indeed. A larger future is coming in Akhil's direction."
Who Can I Connect You With?:
I have a huge offline network (both in India & around the world). I would be happy to connect you with anyone I know from:
1) Alumni of the Kellogg Graduate School of Management
. I was in the class of 1994.
2) The American Alumni Association
. I am the Past President
3) The Rotary Club
. I am Past President of The Rotary Club of Bombay Midtown. One of India's oldest & largest Rotary Clubs
4) Confederation of Indian Industry
. This is India's premier industry association. I am on the Higher Education Taskforce.
5) Mumbai Angels
. India's premier association of angel investors who look for early stage investment opportunities.
. I was part of the leadership team of India's first BNI chapter.
Am also a member of the Young Entrepreneur's Organization
, Indo-American Chamber of Commerce, Indian Merchant's Chamber & Indian Institute of Management Consultants.
Other Stuff About Me:
- I am listed in "Asia's Whos Who - Men & Women of Achievement"
- was awarded the "Bharat Shiromani Award" in 2006 for excellence & contribution to society. This award has also been given to Mother Teresa, The Dalai Lama & Sachin Tendulkar among others.
- Received the 'Bharat Gaurav Award" in 2007 for contribution to Indian Business
- Received the "Indira Gandhi Priyadarshini Award' in 2009 for my work in education
- I was also selected as 'India's Man of The Year' By The American Biographical Institute
- I've mentored many young entrepreneurs
- I have been profiled in various newspapers & magazines in India including 'Business India' , 'The Times of India', 'The Economic Times' & 'Express Computers'.
I make time to hang around with my wife (Nisha) two lovely daughters (Simran & Shagun) & incontinent Cocker Spaniel (Brandy)
Would just like to leave you with a thought: Mahatma Gandhi, Bill Gates & Richard Branson had exactly the same 24 hours every day as you do!