Useful hashtags for Business owners
Using twitter hashtags
It's no secret that social media is being used more than ever to promote business. I use twitter a lot as you may have noticed, so I thought I would share with you some of the hashtags that have given me a global following and got my name out there.
What is a hashtag?
People use the hashtag symbol # before a relevant keyword or phrase (no spaces) in their Tweet to categorize those Tweets and help them show more easily in Twitter Search.
Clicking on a hashtagged word in any message shows you all other Tweets marked with that keyword.
Hashtags can occur anywhere in the Tweet – at the beginning, middle, or end.
Hashtagged words that become very popular are often Trending Topics.
(via twitter help page)
For example, if you are talking about business put #business in your tweet. That means that if you click on this it will show all tweets that mention the word 'business'
Why use a hashtag?
I use hashtags to get involved in conversations that I am interested in. For example, there are funny hashtags like #thingsIremembergrowingup which are great for social use.
#thingsIremembergrowingup my purple raleigh chopper
People will identify with the 'chopper' and think it is funny so Retweet it or reply to you!
For business use, there might be topic like #socialmedia where there would be a discussion about something new that has come out or news of some sort. Keep an eye out for what is 'trending' at the moment. This is on the lefthand side of your twitter page. See example I took earlier
As you can see there are many funny hashtags going due to Valentines Day. Just click on any of these to get involved in those conversations.
So how will a hashtag help my business?
By introducing your business to the trend, it will allow people to associate your brand and create awareness.
Another benefit of using hashtags is the ability to be part of a current trending topic that your small business may be related to.
Sometimes these hashtags can be global so you can reach a wider audience quickly.
Popular hashtags that promote business
- #Bizitalk - simply tweet about what you do and they will retweet it for you
- #lancashirehour - keep an eye out for hashtags like this where they mention areas of Britain. You can tweet what you do and get noticed. These are for promoting businesses just like yours.
- #Twittersisters - This takes place on Thursday evenings at 8pm to promote Female owned business
- #WOW - Jaqueline Gold from Ann Summers encourages Women to promote what they do by using this hashtag. She chooses her 3 favorites and RTs them to her followers!
- #SBS - Theo Paphitis runs this fab hashtag on Sundays from 5pm until 7.30 pm to promote small business (Small Business Sunday)
- #FPSBS - This is another hashtag that promotes business, just mention what you do and they will RT and choose a showcase every day.
- #Irishbizparty - This is one I created, every wednesday night from 9-11pm to promote SMEs in Ireland.
Advantages of using a hashtag for your business
- It creates brand awareness
- You can keep track of reputation or any negative comments that can be rectified swiftly
- It categorizes your tweets to make it easier for followers to find you
- You can measure your reach, if people search for a keyword featuring your business you can see how many people are talking about this topic
- You can introduce new products or services using a hashtag
People all over the world are using hashtags. It can be a positive experience for all, and it raises so much awareness of your brand. Try it! Oh and by the way #SunZu is a hashtag I use when tweeting about SunZu and sometimes we ask for #positivenews stories so click on these to see all mentions of SunZu and use this hashtag when discussing SunZu to help us raise brand awareness too!!