We develop tools that create customers for businesses

Maximise your lead opportunities with over 22k leads worth over £9m so far on SunZu



Many people email Immigration Matters to ask where or how they can locate an immigration form. For instance, Bulgarians and Romanians often ask: 'Where can I find the correct application form to apply for a Yellow Card?' TIP If you are looking for a particular form or guidance note on the huge UK Border Agency (UKBA) or Home Office website, rather than work your way through the maze of pages, try using the site's 'search facility' or use Google to locate it. The form mentioned in the above example is a 'BR1', but it is not actually called a 'yellow card' application. In fact, a search on the UKBA website for 'yellow card' will give you a 'No Results found for the Search term 'yellow card' reply. So you need to search using the correct name or enter a more defined search. It is only called a yellow card because the registration certificate is literally a yellow card! For your information the full title of the BR1 form is: 'APPLICATION FOR A REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE FOR A BULGARIAN OR ROMANIAN NATIONAL EXERCISING A TREATY RIGHT IN THE UNITED KINGDOM' You can locate the Forms BR1, BR2, BR3, BR4, BR5, BR6, BR7 and 'Guidance for Nationals of Bulgaria and Romania on Obtaining Permission to Work in the United Kingdom' at: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/eea/bulgariaromania/applying/ However, if you are reading this article in several months time it may not be at the same location or the Immigration Rules for Bulgarian and Romanian nationals may have changed altogether and the forms could be no longer needed. At present, despite the fact that they are EU members, when it comes to employment Bulgarian and Romanian citizens do not have the same rights as other Europeans, for instance from Poland, Slovakia or other A8 Accession countries. Paragraph 2 of the 'Guidance for Nationals of Bulgaria and Romania on Obtaining Permission to Work in the United Kingdom' states: As a Romanian or Bulgarian national you are able to move and live freely in any Member State of the European Union (EU). You do not need permission under our immigration rules to reside legally in the United Kingdom. You will have a right of residence in any EU Member State for the first 3 months of residence on an unrestricted basis and you can remain legally resident in that state as long as you wish, providing you are exercising a Treaty right as a student, a self-employed person, or if you are self-sufficient(and not economically active). You will not have an automatic right to reside as a worker in the United Kingdom (unless you are exempt from work authorisation requirements - see paragraph 6 below).If you need help or advice there is also a UKBA telephone number given for the 'Accession State customer contact centre' which is: 0114 207 4074. You can also seek advice from an Immigration Adviser, but make sure they are registered with the OISC, which provides a list of qualified advisers all over the UK. See also: Free Movement of EU nationals explained Worker Registration Scheme to close Employers 'addicted' to migrant workers says UK Immigration Minister STILL CONFUSED? Free presentations are being run at Bison UK Immigration Advisers for Employers, Romanians and Bulgarians the week of 11-22 April 2011, Monday to Friday, from 11am-12noon and 3-4pm. No need to book, just turn up.Venue: Bison Management UK, 16 Shenley Road, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire WD6 1DL. Nearest Train Station: Elstree and Borehamwood Station; Buses from Edgware underground station: 107 and 292.

Tue 12th Jul 2011
Herts, UK
Get in Touch

Charles Kelly CMgr FCMI's Articles