Edson Johnson

Edson

Johnson

Summary

Liberty Village Real Estate: Historical Facts

Every young professional in Canada knows the importance that Liberty Village has. Being home to many businesses has definitely boosted its popularity in the real estate market. But few young people know that this thriving real estate was far from any trace of success just a few years ago.

The area where Liberty Village is located actually used to be the Toronto Central Prison and the Andrew Mercer Reformatory for Women in the 19th century. Its name hasn’t always been this positive brand that encourages entrepreneurship. It comes from the "Liberty Street", which was the first street where convicts walked as free people back in the day.

The area also represented an industrial area because it was close to the railway tracks and it was easy to bring heavy machinery here. The first factory was meant to produce boilers and electrical appliances. The next one manufactured agricultural tools. There were many people working here as the industry continued to expand in the following years. It also refined a bit, as 20th century manufacturers established here to produce lighter items such as billiard tables, paper, toys, mattresses or electrical products.

During the wars these factories also produced weapons or bombs. After 1946, most factories focused on consumer products such as domestic heaters, fishing tackle or house trailers. A local company (Inglis) negotiated with another and produced products for home laundry. This has a role in founding the Whirlpool Corporation. By 1950, the factories produced automatic washers. This became obviously popular as it greatly eased women's work. The line of home appliances continued to grow and developed dishwashers too.

This functioned until the early 1980s, when the main factory started to decline. Then it moved its site and gradually all the factories were destroyed. Meanwhile, the reformatory and prison closed too. The Lamport Stadium stands now where the old reformatory once existed. There is a small remnant from the original site located at the corner of Fraser Avenue and King Street: the superintendent's house. In the 1980, after the manufacturing factories closed, the lands became desolate. Many buildings turned into ruins.

Liberty Village real estate started to take shape in 1999 and reached incredible growth starting 2004. Now the real estate stands out here due to the remarkable qualities and advantages that it brings. The area regained its glory and it's more successful than ever. Modern times have been very generous and transformed the rusty lands into one of the neighborhoods with the stronger real estate market.