Nathan A. Ives MBA, PMP
Manager, Strategy & Operations
Deloitte Consulting LLP
Nathan A. Ives is a highly successful manager with over fifteen years of energy industry and consulting experience. As Manager, Strategy & Operations at Deloitte Consulting LLP, he serves as a trusted advisor to executives and senior managers at Fortune 500, government, and large regional utilities; helping them define organizational needs and develop and manage the complex, mission critical projects needed to improve operational effectiveness and lower costs. In this role, he leads teams of experienced utility professionals in the design and implementation of integrated fleet asset management processes including strategic asset and resource planning, online and outage work management, engineering change and configuration management, document and records management, and corrective action programs.
Prior to joining Deloitte, Mr. Ives held several influential nuclear industry positions at the Institute of Nuclear Power Operations. During his tenure, he led the nuclear industry's effort to redefine performance standards in the areas of organizational alignment, managerial decision-making, plant operations, and risk management; authoring or significantly contributing to several publications against which nuclear power plant performance is evaluated including:
- Performance Objectives and Criteria, INPO, 2005 - Publication documenting the standards for corporate and station performance in the operation and maintenance of nuclear electric generating plants. Principle author of the operational risk management, risk informed managerial decision-making, organizational alignment, and operator performance objectives.
- Principles for Effective Operational Decision-Making, INPO, 2001 - Contributing author on an industry-wide team that developed a principles-based document on risk informed managerial decision-making; published in six languages and serving as the performance model at nuclear power plants worldwide.
- Guidelines for the Conduct of Operations at Nuclear Power Stations, INPO, 2001 - Document establishing the operational performance standards, based on industry leading practices, for nuclear electric generating stations. Principle author of the Leadership and Accountability, Safety Culture portion of this document.
- Operational Safety and Decision-Making in Changing Times, INPO, 2000 - Author of this article highlighting the impact of executive and managerial actions, behaviors, and decisions on the safe, reliable operation of nuclear electric generating stations.
Later, he managed the development and execution monitoring of Institute's long-range and annual business plans, $87 million annual budget, and personnel resource and project management programs. Mr. Ives also served as that firm's Diversity Council Chairperson, leading the organization's efforts to become more diverse and inclusive of employees of all backgrounds.
Mr. Ives attended the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, earning a bachelor of science degree in physics. He received a master of business administration degree from Kennesaw State University and was elected to membership in the Beta Gamma Sigma and Phi Kappa Phi honor societies.
In addition to degree conferring programs, Mr. Ives has received several certifications from respected national and international organizations including:
- Diversity Management Certificate from the University of Houston's International Institute of Diversity & Cross-Cultural Management Business School (2007 - present)
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification from the Project Management Institute (2005 - present)
- Instructor and Facilitator Certifications from the National Academy for Nuclear Training (2003 - present)
- Certified Management Consultant (CMC) certification from the Institute of Management Consultants (2004 - 2007)
Mr. Ives served on the Nuclear Energy Institute's New Nuclear Plant Executive Taskforce and the Graduate Student Advisory Board at Kennesaw State University's Coles College of Business. He is a member of the Project Management Institute and the American Management Association.
Mr. Ives received national recognition for business planning including the AT&T Best Use of the Internet award in 2003.